Trichopolum is an antimicrobial, antiprotozoal drug.
Trichopolum is used to effectively treat a variety of bacterial infections of various etiologies. The medicine itself is white flat pills. The active ingredient of the drug is metronidazole, which has an active effect on various protozoa, aerobes and anaerobes.
Metronidazole damages the DNA of bacteria and restores the nitro group.
The drug with antiprotozoan and antibacterial action for local use in gynecology.
Terms of sale from pharmacies
You can buy by prescription.
How much does Trichopol in pharmacies? The average price is 190 rubles.
Composition and release form
Trichopolum has three release formats: oral and vaginal tablets (mistakenly called candles) and an infusion solution. Detailed composition of each medicine:
- Oral tablets contain metronidazole + excipients: magnesium stearate, starch, syrup, gelatin.
- The composition of the vaginal tablets Trihopol includes the active substance metronidazole + excipients: cellulose, povidone, crospovidone, silicon dioxide and stearic acid.
- The infusion solution contains metronidazole + excipients: citric acid monohydrate, sodium chloride, sodium hydrogen phosphate and water.
Is it an antibiotic or not?
Yes, this drug is an antibiotic. Trichopolum belongs to the group of antimicrobial and antiparasitic drugs, the active ingredient is metronidazole. Once inside the bacteria and protozoa, the drug changes its chemical structure, after which it interacts with the DNA of the microorganism and disrupts its synthesis.
Inhibition of DNA replication leads to cell death. Trichopolum is effective against protozoa, anaerobic bacteria, a number of Gram-negative and Gram-positive organisms (Giardia, Balantidia, Gardeninella, Trichomonas, Clostridium, Fuzobakteriya, Bacteroides, Peptococcus, etc.).
Action Trikhopol based on the biochemical reduction of the nitro group. The substance metronidazole inhibits the synthesis of nucleic acids and directly interacts with the DNA of microorganism cells. This process leads to the immediate death of negative bacteria.
The drug is sensitive:
- and amoebas.
Absorbing into the gastrointestinal tract of the patient, the drug reaches a maximum concentration in the patient's body after 1.5-3 hours. The rate of concentration of metronidazole in the blood plasma depends on the accepted dosage of the drug. The substance metronidazole does not interact with viruses, facultative anaerobes, fungi.
The drug penetrates the placental barrier and through the blood-brain barrier. The drug enters the bile, saliva, cerebrospinal fluid and other tissues of the sick person. In the body, metronidazole is distributed fairly evenly. The metabolism of the substance occurs in the liver. The half-life of the drug is 6-8 hours. It may be longer in time if the patient has any particular liver pathologies.
When treating this drug, a change in urine color may be observed. Removal of the drug is carried out by the kidneys.
Indications for use
What does it treat? The oral release form of the antifungal agent Trichopol is effective for protozoal and genital infections of the urinary tract:
- therapy of trichomoniasis;
- treatment of giardiasis, amebiasis;
- stomach ulcer;
- helicobacter infection;
- cystitis (complex therapy);
- balantidiasis, leishmaniasis;
- Trichomonas urethritis in men and vaginitis in women;
- bacterial infections of the joints, heart;
- bacterial endocarditis, pulmonary pneumonia;
- ovarian abscess, endometritis.
Candles Trichopolus vaginal tablets, mistakenly referred to as vaginal suppositories, according to the instructions for use, have the following indications for which they are prescribed by doctors for the local treatment of gynecological problems:
- bacterial vaginosis;
- non-specific vaginitis;
- Trichomonas vaginitis;
- As part of complex treatment with Nystatin, chronic form of thrush is treated.
Solution for infusion injection Trihopol is used for the following indications:
- chronic complicated trichomoniasis;
- skin infections;
- peritonitis, abscess of the abdominal cavity and liver, ovaries and fallopian tubes, lung, brain;
- complications after surgery;
- pneumonia, pleural empyema;
- prevention of complications during operations on the colon, removal of the appendix;
- in combination with bismuth and Amoxicillin in peptic ulcer disease.
There is a group of people who can not use "Trichopol" for treatment. Medication is contraindicated in such cases as:
- Blood disorders;
- Severe deviations in the central nervous system;
- Liver damage;
- Children under the age of 3;
- Individual intolerance to the drug;
- The first half of pregnancy, since the drug can be introduced through the placenta;
- During lactation. Metronidazole can be collected in the milk of a nursing woman and threaten the baby's well-being, therefore, only if absolutely necessary, the mother can take metronidazole, but at this point you will have to stop feeding with milk.
In hepatic insufficiency, plasma concentration of metronidazole increases to dangerous levels. Metronidazole is used with caution in patients with renal organs. If during treatment with them, there is dizziness, problems with the gastrointestinal tract, the therapy should be stopped.
Appointment during pregnancy and lactation
The drug during pregnancy is not recommended, especially not to appoint it in the first trimester. Further, the drug is used only when the potential benefit to the mother is higher than the perceived risk to the fetus.
It is also impossible to feed the baby with breast milk, since the active substance is passed along with it. It is possible to continue feeding only 2 days after the last taking the drug.
Dosage and method of use
As indicated in the instructions for use Trichopolum tablets is applied orally, without chewing, during or after meals. Dosage means depends on age and disease, namely:
- When treating trichomoniasis with tablets, the adult and children's dosage (from 10 years of age) is 1 tablet three times a day, or 4 tablets should be taken during the week, divided into two doses. The course of treatment with medication, if necessary, can be repeated after a month;
- The same dosage is used in the treatment of bacterial vaginosis. In this case, a single dose of eight tablets is also possible;
- When treating amebiasis, the dosage of the drug Trichopolus is 3 tablets three times a day for children over 10 years old and adults. Children under 10 years of age are usually given reduced dosages. Regardless of age, the duration of the treatment course is five days;
- In the treatment of amoebic liver abscess and other forms of extraintestinal amebiasis, a dose 2 times reduced is usually prescribed, which is 1.5 tablets three times a day. The treatment course is for five days. The same dosage is usually used in the treatment of asymptomatic cysts carriage, but the duration of treatment can be 10 days;
- One tablet of Trichopol three times a day is taken by children over 10 years old and adults in the treatment of periodontal infections and acute odontogenic infections. The duration of treatment is determined by the doctor and can vary from three to seven days.
Treatment of infections caused by anaerobic bacteria usually begins with intravenous infusions with Trihopol, which are then replaced with tablets. The dosage of the drug for children over 10 years of age and adults is 2 tablets 3-4 times a day with a course of not more than 7 days.
According to the indications, Trichopolum is injected intravenously in cases of severe infection, or if the medication cannot be taken orally. The adult dosage of Trichopol according to the instructions for intravenous administration is 500 mg with an injection rate of 5 ml per minute, with an 8-hour interval of administration. The maximum dose is not more than 4 g per day. For children under 12 years of age, the dosage of Trihopol infusions is 7.5 mg of drug per 1 kg of body weight in 3 doses at a rate of 5 ml per minute.
According to the indications, Trichopolum in the form of an infusion solution is not recommended for use with other medicines.
At observance of the recommended doses, the drug Trihopol is well tolerated by patients. In individuals with increased individual sensitivity to Metronidazole, some side effects may occur:
- on the part of the urinary system - pain during urination, inflammation of the bladder, polyuria, the prevalence of nocturnal diuresis over daytime, change in urine color;
- allergic reactions - skin rash, pruritus, urticaria, erythema, nasal swelling, rhinorrhea, fever, dermatitis;
- muscle aches and pains in the joints;
- from the alimentary canal - lack of appetite, metallic taste in the mouth, stomach pain, nausea, retching, intestinal colic, bloating, increased gas formation, diarrhea, increased liver transaminases, reactive pancreatitis;
- on the part of the nervous system - headaches, dizziness, ataxia, confusion, neuropathy, increased irritability, impaired coordination of movements, convulsions, drowsiness, in rare cases, hallucinations;
- leukopenia, neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, agranulocytosis.
If one or more of the listed side effects appear, the treatment with Trichopol tablets should be stopped and consult a doctor.
There is no evidence of an overdose of vaginal tablets. Symptoms of an overdose with oral tablets and Trichopolum solution are convulsions, peripheral neuropathy, and neurological symptoms. When taking more than 15 g of the drug at a time nausea, vomiting was observed, the patient lost coordination of movements. The methods of treatment of drug overdose include symptomatic therapy.
During the period of drug treatment is recommended to refrain from sexual intercourse.
Simultaneous treatment with metronidazole of the sexual partner is recommended, regardless of whether it has any manifestations of the disease.
Metronidazole can cause immobilization of treponemas, which leads to false-positive results of the Nelson test (TPI).
With indications of a history of changes in the composition of peripheral blood, as well as with the use of the drug in high doses and / or with long-term treatment, control of the complete blood count is necessary.
Interaction with other drugs
When using the drug, you must consider the interaction with other drugs:
- It is not recommended to use metronidazole in combination with non-depolarizing muscle relaxants (vecuronium bromide).
- Under the influence of barbiturates may decrease the effectiveness of metronidazole due to the acceleration of its metabolism in the liver.
- Cimetidine inhibits the metabolism of metronidazole, which can lead to an increase in its concentration in the blood plasma and an increased risk of adverse reactions.
- The drug is compatible with sulfonamides and antibiotics.
- Metronidazole causes ethanol intolerance, so alcohol should be avoided during treatment.
- You should not combine metronidazole with disulfiram, since the interaction of these drugs may cause depression of consciousness, the development of mental disorders.
- With simultaneous use with indirect anticoagulants (including with warfarin), metronidazole enhances their action, which leads to an increase in prothrombin time.
- When taken simultaneously with lithium preparations, it is possible to increase its concentration in the blood plasma.
We offer you to read the reviews of people who used Trihopol:
- Zinaida Great drug! Especially helps with alcoholism. My uncle has always been very drunk, and my aunt has been struggling with his addiction for 20 years, but to no avail. I advised her to buy Trichopolum, because I know that it helps not only from dysentery and the like, but also from alcohol addiction. Aunt gave her husband medicine, said that vitamins and beneficial. He accepted, and then, as usual, went to friends. And already tonight he first came sober.
- Nika. Very strong broad-spectrum antibiotic. It is quite effective, has a mega-bitter taste. The finish has a very long time, as a rule. I try to drink it so that it does not fall on the tongue. I don’t say about the killed flora and the planted liver, I don’t drink drugs that are taken after a course of antibiotics. Children it is absolutely impossible. It is worth a penny, but for some reason, doctors are not in a hurry to prescribe it.
- Tina. And I take them from demodicosis, the doctor prescribed for me, like inflammations on my face disappear, but the side effects are terrible: I can not concentrate, I walk like in a dream, my head is spinning. The only plus is that you don’t want to eat at all! ))) Even start losing weight. Well, at least in something for me there should be an advantage))) I just have nowhere to go, I can not bring the tick in any other way, it seems to have begun to help
This antimicrobial drug is derived from nitroimidazole. Like most drugs, Trihopol has its counterparts, similar in composition, but different in cost and equivalent in effect on negative microorganisms.
The main analogues of the drug:
Before buying an analogue, consult your doctor.
Shelf life and storage conditions
They are stored in a dry dark place without the access of children at a temperature of up to 25 degrees. The shelf life is three years for tablets and five years for a solution.