Pariet is a drug recommended for treating and preventing the recurrence of diseases of the digestive tract associated with hypersecretion of hydrochloric acid.
After a course of treatment, the pH of the gastric juice returns to normal values for a particular patient only after 1-2 days. Basal and stimulated secretion of HCl is reduced, regardless of the nature of the irritant.
Clinical studies have helped determine the conditions for 100% healing of gastric and duodenal ulcers: this becomes possible if the pH is kept at a level above 3 constantly throughout 18 -20 hours a day. In this connection, the effectiveness of anti-ulcer treatment is determined to a greater degree by the duration of the drug treatment, and the ability of antisecretory drugs to steadily maintain the pH of the stomach above 3.
Therefore, in this case, the speed of the onset of the antisecretory effect and its duration come to the fore.
For the drug is characterized by anti-ulcer effect.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released on prescription.
How much does Pariet in pharmacies cost? The average price is at the level of 900 rubles.
Release form and composition
The medicine is sold in pharmacies in the form:
- 10 mg tablets, which are coated with a pink shell. In cross-section, the tablet has a white color. The drug is produced with a dosage of 7, as well as 14 tablets in one package;
- Tablets on 20 mg which are covered with a yellow cover. In cross-section, the tablet has a white color. This medicine is produced in 14, as well as 28 tablets in one package.
The main component of the drug is rabeprazole sodium. Additional substances included in the composition are: magnesium stearate, mannitol, gray food ink, magnesium oxide, hyprolosis, ethylcellulose, titanium dioxide (E171), Karaubian wax, talc, white shellac, ethanol.
The active substance of the composition of the tablets - rabeprazole sodium, refers to antisecretory substances derived benzimidazole. The component inhibits the secretion of gastric juice, specifically inhibiting enzymes-protein complexes, functioning as a proton pump. This action leads to blocking the final stage of hydrochloric acid production.
The effect is dose-dependent, inhibits synthesis, regardless of the stimulus. Antisecretory action occurs within an hour after oral administration, lasts up to 48 hours. After cessation of treatment, secretory activity is restored in 1-2 days. Rabeprazole increases gastrin plasma levels. The substance is subjected to rapid absorption, the maximum concentration reaches after 3.5 hours.
Rabeprazole has a 52% bioavailability. Absorption is not affected by the time of administration and combination with antacids, but fatty foods slow down absorption. The component binds to plasma proteins by 97%. Most of the drug dose is excreted in the urine as a conjugate of mercapturic acid and carboxylic acid, the rest - with bile as a metabolite of thioether and dismethyl.
Indications for use
According to the official instructions for use, for Pariet therapy with a dosage of 10 mg, are the following indications:
- Heartburn, "sour" belching, other dyspeptic disorders caused by increased synthesis of hydrochloric acid.
- Preventive therapy, including GERD without esophagitis.
Double dosage (Pariet 20 mg) is resorted to if the following conditions occur:
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (supportive therapy).
- Ulcerative and erosive gastroesophageal reflux disease or reflux esophagitis.
- Non-erosive gastroesophageal reflux disease.
- Ulcer lesion of the stomach (acute period) and anastomosis ulcer.
- Duodenal ulcer (acute period).
- Zollinger-Ellison syndrome and conditions characterized by pathological hypersecretion.
- Eradication of Helicobacter pylori in patients with peptic ulcer (as part of combination therapy).
Pariet is contraindicated for use in the presence of the following diseases or conditions:
- Individual hypersensitivity or allergic reactions to the active and auxiliary components of Pariet;
- Breastfeeding period;
- Children age under 18 years for Pariet tablets 10 mg;
- Children under 12 years old for Pariet 20 mg tablets.
The listed contraindications to the use of Pariet are absolute, that is, if they are present, the drug cannot be used, under any circumstances. In addition to absolute, there are also relative contraindications for Pariet tablets of each dosage, in the presence of which the drug can be used, but with caution and under close medical supervision. A relative contraindication for Pariet 20 mg is the child's age from 12 to 18 years, and for tablets containing 10 mg of the active substance - severe renal failure.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
There are no data regarding the safety of the effect of Pariet on intrauterine fetal development, and there is no experience with the use of tablets among pregnant women. Based on this, this drug is not prescribed for the treatment of diseases of the digestive tract in expectant mothers.
Since the active ingredient of the drug Pariet can be excreted in breast milk, therapy during lactation is not recommended. If you need to treat a nursing mother, it is better to stop breastfeeding the baby and transfer it to artificial feeding with milk formulas.
Dosage and method of use
The instructions for use indicate that the drug Pariet is intended for oral administration. Tablets should be swallowed whole, without crushing or chewing, and drink water, preferably in the morning before eating. It has been established that the time of day and food intake do not affect the activity of rabeprazole, however, the recommended time of administration of the drug contributes to patient compliance with treatment regimens.
Standard dosing regimens for adults, depending on the evidence:
- Eradication of Helicobacter pylori: 20 mg 2 times a day in combination with antibiotics. The course of treatment is 7 days;
- Reflux esophagitis, erosive GERD: 20 mg 1 time per day for 4-8 weeks, if necessary, the duration of treatment is increased by another 8 weeks;
- Supportive therapy for GERD: 20 mg 1 time per day, the duration of use is determined individually;
- Non-erosive reflux disease without esophagitis: 20 mg 1 time per day for 4 weeks. If after this time the symptoms of the disease do not disappear, it is necessary to conduct an additional examination of the patient. With maintenance therapy (after relieving symptoms to prevent relapse), take 1 tablet 1 time per day on demand;
- Symptomatic treatment of dyspepsia due to increased acidity of gastric juice, including symptoms of GERD: 10 mg 1 time per day for up to 14 days;
- Ulcer anastomosis, exacerbation of peptic ulcer: 20 mg 1 time per day. Duration of treatment - 6 weeks, if necessary, the course can be extended for another 6 weeks;
- Exacerbation of duodenal ulcer: 20 mg 1 time per day. The duration of treatment is 2-4 weeks, if necessary, the course is extended for another 4 weeks;
- Zollinger-Ellison syndrome and other conditions characterized by pathological hypersecretion: the dose is adjusted individually. At the beginning of therapy, 60 mg per day is prescribed, then the dose is increased to 100 mg 1 time per day or 60 mg 2 times per day. The duration of treatment is determined by clinical necessity, in some cases it can reach 1 year.
Children over the age of 12 with GERD should be prescribed 20 mg 1 time per day for a course of no more than 8 weeks.
10 mg tablets
The drug is recommended to take 1 tablet 1 time per day in the morning, before breakfast, which will help patients to maintain a constant interval between doses.
In the absence of the desired therapeutic effect during the first 3 days of the course, a specialist should be examined. The maximum duration of treatment without consulting a doctor should not exceed 14 days.
The list of side effects Pariet:
- dyspeptic disorders;
- headache, drowsiness, weakness and apathy, sleep disturbances, depressive states;
- fluid retention, medicinal nephritis;
- osteo-articular and muscular pains;
- breast engorgement;
- allergic reactions from urticaria to angioedema;
- change in blood parameters: thrombocytopenia, leukopenia;
- hypomagnesemia, up to convulsive syndrome and heart rhythm disorders;
- weight gain;
- increased liver function tests;
- disturbances in the work of the visual apparatus;
- increased temperature reaction;
- flu-like syndrome.
According to practitioners, the drug is well tolerated, and side effects are rare. If the course of treatment is long, then it is additionally recommended to take magnesium preparations.
Overdose of the drug Pariet develops only in rare cases and is characterized by increased severity of the above-described adverse reactions. If a patient has symptoms of overdose, wash the stomach, give activated charcoal or other sorbents, take symptomatic treatment if necessary.
There is no antidote drug, hemodialysis is not effective.
Before you start using the drug, read the specific instructions:
- Dose adjustment for functional disorders of the kidneys or liver is not required.
- Improving the state as a result of taking Pariet does not exclude the presence of malignant tumors in the stomach.
On the background of severe functional disorders of the liver, the first appointment of the drug requires caution.
- Pariet therapy may increase the risk of osteoporosis-related fractures of the hip, spine, or wrist (more so in patients who have been receiving the drug in high doses for a long time).
- If it is necessary to use high doses of methotrexate, in order to avoid an increase in its concentration and manifestations of toxicity, the possibility of temporary discontinuation of Pariet should be considered.
- Simultaneous use of Pariet with drugs that reduce acidity (for example, H2 receptor blockers or proton pump inhibitors) is not recommended.
- It must be borne in mind that during therapy increases the likelihood of developing gastrointestinal infections (for example, Clostridium difficile).
- In the case of the development of side effects in the form of drowsiness, it is necessary to avoid driving vehicles and performing work with equipment.
- With prolonged administration of the drug or with combination therapy with digoxin or drugs that can cause hypomagnesemia (for example, diuretics), the concentration of magnesium should be monitored before and during the treatment period.
- In rare cases, for at least 3 months of using Pariet, cases of development of hypomagnesemia (asymptomatic or symptomatic) have been noted. Most often, these messages were received a year after the treatment. Serious violations include tetany, convulsions and arrhythmia. In most cases, the occurrence of hypomagnesemia required treatment, which includes the abolition of Pariet and the replacement of magnesium.
Combined use of rabeprazole with atazanavir is not recommended due to the likely significant reduction in the effects of the latter.
When taken simultaneously, rabeprazole reduces ketoconazole absorption by 30% and increases digoxin absorption by 22%. As a result, when a combination of these funds may require a dose adjustment.
When conducting research on healthy volunteers, there were no clinically significant interactions of rabeprazole sodium with the following drugs: diazepam, theophylline, phenytoin, warfarin, amoxicillin, clarithromycin, aluminum hydroxide and magnesium hydroxide (in gel form).
According to data from a retrospective analysis and pharmacokinetic studies, taking rabeprazole with methotrexate (mainly in high doses) is undesirable due to a possible increase in the concentration of methotrexate and / or hydroxymetotrexate (its metabolite). With this combination, due to the threat of exacerbation of toxicity manifestations of methotrexate, a temporary refusal to receive Pariet may be required.
We picked up some reviews of people using the drug Pariet:
- Boris I have a chronic stomach ulcer. Disturbingly rare, but exacerbations are always accompanied by severe pain and discomfort. The doctor prescribed Pariet for stopping the acute process. Tablets help with this very well - in half an hour they remove all signs of discomfort and do not provoke side effects. Excellent medicine, I will take it.
- Helena. My husband was diagnosed with erosive gastroesophageal reflux disease and was told to be urgently treated because the increased acidity of the gastric juice threatens to turn into an ulcer. He began to take Pariet - he drank for half a year, then he checked. Analyzes showed that everything is perfect, but to fix the result, you need to reconsider the diet.
- Nina. I consider Pariet an excellent aid, but I agree that this is an expensive drug. On the recommendation of the pharmacist replaced Rabeprazol-SZ. It is a bit more expensive than Omez, but the effect is much higher and more convenient to take.
Structural analogues of the active substance:
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Which is better - Pariet or Nexium?
Patients are often interested in whether they should take this drug or choose Nexium? In any case, the appointment of each of the drugs is carried out individually and is directly dependent on the complexity of the violation, laboratory parameters and patient characteristics.
However, many experts believe that Pariet has greater efficiency, fast action, which requires a small dose, and less manifestation of side effects. As for the cost, both drugs are not cheap, which justifies their effectiveness.
Storage conditions and shelf life
The drug should be stored at a temperature of about 25 ° C in a place where pets do not have access, as well as young children.
In no case is it allowed to store the medicine in the refrigerator.
The shelf life of this drug is not more than 2 years.