Miramistin is an antiseptic for local and outdoor use.
It is endowed with a broad spectrum of antibacterial action, including nosocomial microbial strains resistant to antibiotics. The drug has a pronounced bactericidal (harmful for bacteria) effect on gram-positive (Staphylococcus spp., Streptococcus spp.) And gram-negative (Escherichia coli, Klebsiella spp., Pseudomonas aeruginosa) bacteria.
The development of this effective tool was carried out back in the 70s of the last century by Professor Krivoshein and a group of researchers from Russia and Ukraine. Due to various political events in the USSR, scientific work often stopped due to lack of funding. Therefore, the drug was registered as a drug only in 1991.
Clinical and pharmacological group
MIRAMISTIN is an antiseptic agent of complex action.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released without a prescription.
How much does Miramistin in pharmacies? The average price in 2018 is at 200 rubles per solution and 370 rubles per spray.
Release form and composition
The drug comes in the form of a solution that is applied topically. It is a clear, colorless liquid that foams when shaken. Miramistin solution is contained in 50 ml, 100 ml, 150 ml or 200 ml polyethylene bottles, which are put into cardboard boxes. The kit also includes a spray nozzle or spray pump. The release form for use in the conditions of a hospital - bottles on 500 ml.
- Active component: benzyldimethyl-myristoylamino-propylammonium chloride monohydrate, 100 mg
- Auxiliary substances: purified water, up to 1 liter
Miramistin candles and tablets are not produced.
When used topically, Miramistin is not absorbed into the mucous membranes and skin. It is active against hospital strains, even antibiotic-resistant. The active substance interacts with the lipid layer of the membrane of microorganisms. This causes their destruction and increases permeability.
Under the influence of Miramistin, aerobic and anaerobic bacteria, gram-positive and gram-negative organisms, die. At the same time, the activity of immune cells increases. This leads to the stimulation of non-specific immunity, accelerating the healing process. Stimulation of protective properties occurs due to the activation of various functions of phagocytes.
Indications for use
What helps? Miramistin is used for a number of diseases in different areas of medicine:
- Otolaryngology: treatment of otitis media (acute and chronic form), tonsillitis, laryngitis, sinusitis, and pharyngitis.
- Traumatology and surgery: treatment of purulent wound surfaces, prevention of suppuration, medical therapy for the purulent-inflammatory process of the musculoskeletal system.
- Gynecology and obstetrics: conducting preventive and therapeutic procedures aimed at eliminating suppuration in the injured area of the perineum, arresting the inflammatory process, treating infections after childbirth.
- Combustiology: medical therapy for severe burns (grade 2 and 3), preparatory treatment of the burn surface before dermaplasty.
- Dentistry: preventive measures, medical procedures for inflammatory diseases of the oral cavity of an infectious nature (stomatitis, periodontitis, gingivitis, periodontitis), hygienic care of dental prostheses.
- Dermatology and venereology: therapeutic and preventive procedures aimed at eliminating fungal infections of the skin and mucous membranes.
- Urology: treatment for urethritis, cystitis, or urethroprostatitis (acute or chronic), if the disease is caused by specific and nonspecific pathogenic microorganisms.
The drug can be used for the purpose of individual prevention of diseases that are transmitted sexually (including genital candidiasis and herpes, chlamydia, syphilis, trichomoniasis, as well as gonorrhea).
Do not use Miramistin in the form of a solution with increased sensitivity. Not used to treat children under 3 years old.
Ointment is also not used in case of hypersensitivity to the components. Children under one year and in general in pediatric practice do not apply ointment.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
Miramistin during pregnancy as well as during breastfeeding can be used if there are appropriate indications.
If gargling is performed during pregnancy, or Miramistin is buried in the nose during pregnancy, the likelihood of absorption of the active substance into the bloodstream is unlikely. Therefore, for the throat, as well as for disinfecting the affected surfaces in the process of carrying a child, Miramistin can be used. How to use the medicine should be asked in detail with your doctor.
During pregnancy, the treatment of these drugs should be periodically monitored by a specialist.
Dosage and method of use
The instructions for use indicate that the features of the use of Miramistin will depend on the field of medicine and the specific disease.
For the prevention of sexually transmitted diseases, Miramistin will be effective if it is used no later than 2 hours after sexual intercourse.
To do this, using the enclosed urological applicator, the contents of the bottle are inserted into the urethra for 2-3 minutes: 2-3 ml (for men), 1-2 ml, and an additional 5-10 ml into the vagina (for women). The skin of the inner surfaces of the thighs, the circumlobular area and the external genital organs are also subjected to treatment.
After this procedure, it is recommended to abstain from urination for 2 hours.
In the dental practice, the antiseptic agent Miramistin in the form of a solution is used in accordance with the following recommendations and instructions:
- With gingivitis and periodontal disease, treatment with the composition is advisable only after the enamel has been cleared of soft deposits and tartar.
- After a tooth is removed or an abscess is opened, the “baths” with an antiseptic are shown: you need to take a tablespoon of solution in your mouth and hold for at least 1 minute.
- In the treatment of herpetic stomatitis, the remedy is used for rinsing in combination with immunomodulating and antiviral preparations, the procedure is carried out 3 times a day for 1 minute.
- In order to disinfect dentures, you must first clean them, then apply an antiseptic.
- In case of fungal diseases of the oral cavity, Miramistin is used both for rinsing the mouth and throat, as well as for local application for treating the mucous membrane with a cotton swab.
In case of ENT diseases, the preparation is used for rinsing and local treatment, as well as for rinsing the nose. It is necessary to apply an antiseptic 3-4 times a day, 10-15 ml of the product for 1 procedure. Dosages and regimens may vary depending on the nature of the disease and the age of the patient.
Miramistin for throat
Inhalations with Miramistin in a nebulizer for children are indicated for infectious diseases of the upper respiratory tract. For adults, such treatment is rarely prescribed due to its low efficacy. For inhalation with Miramistin in a nebulizer, children need to take 10 drops of antiseptic and dissolve them in 30-40 drops of saline.
The resulting mixture breathe through a mask for 5-7 minutes. Frequency - twice a day. Inhalations with Miramistin in a nebulizer for children are carried out for 5 days. During the procedure, breathing should be strictly nose.
Miramistin Spray: instructions for use
Below we describe how to optimally use Miramistin for irrigation of the mouth and throat, or for carrying out a traditional mouthwash, both in children and adults. Miramistin spray instructions for use contains the following instructions ...
First you need to activate the spray nozzle -
- Remove the cap from the vial,
- Remove the sprayer from the packaging,
- Attach it to the vial,
- Activate the spray nozzle by double pressing.
A single press on the spray nozzle releases about 4 ml of solution. The frequency of use is 3-4 times a day (regardless of age). The scheme is approximately as follows: they ate, brushed their teeth, rinsed or irrigated. If it is not a treatment of the throat, but a rinsing of the oral cavity, then the duration of the latter is optimal in 30-60 seconds.
The course of application: for inflammation of the gums - strictly 10 days, for the treatment of herpetic stomatitis - until clinical recovery (but not more than 10 days), for tonsillitis and other inflammatory diseases of the ENT organs - from 4 to 10 days.
The ointment is applied to the surface previously treated with an antiseptic, a dressing material or a bandage is applied on top. Tampons soaked in ointment, fill the fistula and cavity of purulent wounds.
In the 1st phase of the wound process - once a day, in the 2nd phase once within 1-3 days. The course of treatment is determined by the speed of cleansing purulent wounds and tissue regeneration.
In dermatological practice - ointment is applied to the affected areas with a thin layer, several times a day. You can soak a sterile dressing and impose on damage (1-2 times per day). Apply up to 6 weeks in a row.
Rarely observed local reaction - a burning sensation that passes on its own within a short time (5-20 seconds). It does not require the abolition of the drug.
With increased sensitivity to miramistin, local skin irritation may occur: itching, flushing, burning sensation, dry skin.
No data available.
No mutagenic effects of drugs were identified during the study.
Do not allow the tool to fall into the eyes. Miramistin for the eyes is used exclusively after the appointment of a specialist. At the same time, it is necessary to find out from the attending physician about whether it is possible to wash the eyes with this solution, and how to do it correctly. For the purpose of treating eye diseases, Okomistin is used based on Miramistin.
Since this tool has a wide range of effects, it is prescribed for mixed fungal and bacterial infections. As a rule, this occurs at the first stage of therapy, before the establishment of a diagnosis.
In combination with antibiotics, their antibacterial properties are enhanced.
We picked up some reviews of people who used the drug Miramistin:
- Catherine. Miramistin is always at hand in my bathroom. An excellent drug, I use for any reason for the whole family - cuts, wounds, stomatitis, sores or sores, sore throat or even a tooth ache. Initially, his doctor recommended us when his son had chicken pox, and the rash was even on the mucous membranes in the mouth. Very convenient dispenser, the drug is not consumed much. Big bottle is enough for a long time. And there is no unpleasant taste, for children it is important.
- Karina. I have been using Miramistin for a long time, I really liked the drug. Especially well helped with inflammation in the throat. But I recently bought it and was disappointed; there is no effect from the treatment (she had a sore throat), caused allergies in her daughter, she also had a throat treatment. Previously, did not cause allergies. I formed the opinion that the composition of the drug has changed. Very upset. Sorry, was a good drug.
- Svetlana For the first time, Miramistin was prescribed to my daughter for the treatment of rhinitis. She had been dripping the medicine for almost a week, but did not notice much improvement. Then I tried to bury it in my ears: after all, this medicine is also intended for the nose, for the ears, and, it seems, even for the eyes. I can’t say that my ears hurt badly, but there was discomfort. I really didn’t want to go to the doctor, and there seemed to be medicine at hand. I read the instructions and began to drip. The next day, the pain was almost gone, there were only echoes. A few days later the ears were in perfect order. It seems to me that the medicine still helps, but probably it all depends on the specific disease.
The number of structural analogues of Miramistin containing an identical active ingredient are:
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
What is the difference between Miramistin and Chlorhexidine?
These are drugs similar in pharmaceutical action. However, they are not complete analogues. General properties of drugs:
- Possess high activity and effectively kill the pathogenic flora;
- They are antiseptics, i.e. included in one pharmaceutical series.
At this their similarity ends. What is the difference? The drug does not contain chlorine in an explicit form, because it is not as aggressive as Chlorhexidine in the minimum dosage. Therefore, the first is safer. In addition, it has a wider range of therapeutic actions.
So which is better? You can answer unequivocally: Miramistin is better. Answering the question "What is the difference between Miramistin and Chlorhexidine?" it is worth noting:
- Less aggressive first.
- More opportunities for use (acts more widely).
- Fewer contraindications and side effects.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Store in a dry, protected from light, out of reach of children, at a temperature not exceeding 25 C. Storage time is 3 years. After the expiration date of the drug is not suitable for use.