Xenical - a drug that is a specific inhibitor of gastrointestinal lipases, which has a lasting effect in the treatment of various degrees of obesity
Its therapeutic effect is carried out in the lumen of the stomach and small intestine and consists in the formation of a covalent bond with the active serine portion of the gastric and pancreatic lipases.
Judging by the results of fat in the feces, the action of orlistat begins 24-48 hours after ingestion. After discontinuation of the drug, the fat content in feces after 48-72 hours usually returns to the level that occurred before the start of therapy.
The drug for the treatment of obesity is an inhibitor of gastrointestinal lipases.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released on prescription.
How much does Xenical cost in 2018? The average price in online pharmacies is 1,250 rubles.
Release form and composition
Xenical is produced in the form of capsules for oral administration in bright blue color with an inscription on the lid body in Latin letters "Xenical 120". The drug is packaged in blisters of 21 pieces in a cardboard bundle with the attached description.
- The active substance of Xenical - orlistat, in 1 capsule - 120 mg.
- Excipients: talc.
- Auxiliary components of pellets: sodium carboxymethyl starch (Primogel), microcrystalline cellulose, sodium lauryl sulfate, Povidone K-30.
- The composition of the shell of the capsule: indigo carmine, gelatin, titanium dioxide.
When digesting food, triglycerides (fats) in the stomach and small intestine decompose to fatty acids, which are absorbed by the body and used as a source of energy. If the body gets more fat than it consumes in the process of life, their excess is deposited "for a rainy day" under the skin or on internal organs.
Orlistat is a specific blocker of gastric and pancreatic lipase. By forming strong covalent bonds with these enzymes, it deprives them of their ability to break down fats. Triglycerides are not absorbed into the systemic circulation, and "transit" pass through the gastrointestinal tract and are excreted in the feces. Not getting the right amount of "fuel", the body is forced to fill its deficit by adipocyte cells, set aside "in the depot." The effect of losing weight is based on the principle of spending such reserves of adipose tissue, that is, it is similar to the principles of fat-free diets.
According to clinical studies, during treatment with Xenical, up to one third of the fat from food is excreted from the body in unchanged form. As a result of a two-month course of administration, the weight is reduced by 20-30%. The effect of the dose of the drug lasts 48-72 hours, the time for the complete removal of orlistat residues from feces and urine - up to 5 days. Since orlistat practically does not enter the bloodstream, it does not affect the functioning of internal organs and does not cause addiction syndrome. This means that if you take Xenical for a long time, you do not need to increase its dose.
Indications for use
Long-term therapy for patients with obesity or overweight patients, including those with associated risk factors for obesity, in combination with a moderately low-calorie diet.
In combination with hypoglycemic drugs (metformin, sulfonylurea derivatives and / or insulin) or a moderately low-calorie diet in patients with type 2 diabetes with overweight or obesity.
Taking the drug Xenical is contraindicated for patients with chronic diseases of the biliary tract, with a violation of the functional absorption in the intestine of active substances, with individual intolerance to the composition of the drug.
Cannot be taken by children and pregnant women.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
In animal reproductive toxicity studies, no teratogenic and embryotoxic effect was observed. In the absence of a teratogenic effect in animals, one should not expect such an effect in humans. However, due to the lack of clinical data, Xenical should not be given to pregnant women.
Excretion of orlistat with breast milk has not been studied, so it should not be taken during breastfeeding.
Dosage and method of use
The instructions for use indicated: Xenical capsules are taken orally, during or immediately (within 1 hour) after meals.
If a meal is missed or if the food does not contain fat, then the intake of Xenical can also be skipped. The drug should be taken in combination with a balanced, moderately low-calorie diet containing no more than 30% of calories in the form of fat. Daily consumption of fats, carbohydrates and proteins should be divided into three main steps.
Increasing the dose of orlistat over the recommended (120 mg 3 times / day) does not lead to an increase in its therapeutic effect.
- Long-term therapy for patients with obesity or overweight patients, including those associated with obesity-associated risk factors, in combination with a moderately low-calorie diet in adults and children over 12 years old, the recommended dose of orlistat is one 120 mg capsule with each main meal (during meal time or no later than one hour after meals).
- In combination with hypoglycemic drugs (metformin, sulfonylurea derivatives and / or insulin) or a moderately low-calorie diet in overweight or obese patients with type 2 diabetes: in adults, the recommended dose of orlistat is one 120 mg capsule with each main meal (in meal time or no later than one hour after meals).
The efficacy and safety of the drug Xenical in patients with impaired liver and / or kidney function, as well as in patients of elderly and childish age (under 12 years of age) have not been studied.
Usually, the drug is well tolerated, but sometimes in violation of fat absorption side effects occur on the part of the digestive system: diarrhea, flatulence, heaviness in the stomach, nausea, increased or incontinent stool, which has oily discharge. Less common is a violation of the menstrual cycle, vomiting, headaches, and allergic reactions.
Most often, side effects are observed when the recommended dose is exceeded or after taking fatty foods.
Cases of drug overdose have not been described. In order to avoid undesirable reactions, it is not recommended to take the Capsules more than 3-4 times a day, otherwise there is an increase in the above side effects.
Before you start using the drug, read the specific instructions:
- When used in combination with hypoglycemic drugs such as metformin, sulfonylurea derivatives and / or insulin in patients with type 2 diabetes with overweight (body mass index (BMI) ≥28 kg / m2) or obesity (BMI ≥30 kg / m2 ), Xenical in combination with a moderately low-calorie diet provides an additional improvement in the compensation of carbohydrate metabolism.
- Xenical is effective in terms of long-term control of body weight (weight loss and maintaining it at a new level, preventing re-gaining body weight). Treatment with Xenical improves the profile of risk factors and diseases associated with obesity, including hypercholesterolemia, type 2 diabetes, impaired glucose tolerance, hyperinsulinemia, hypertension, and a decrease in visceral fat.
- The patient should receive a balanced, moderately low-calorie diet containing no more than 30% of calories in the form of fat. Food rich in fruits and vegetables is recommended. Daily consumption of fats, carbohydrates and proteins should be divided into three main steps.
- In clinical studies in most patients, the concentrations of vitamins A, D, E, K and beta-carotene during four years of therapy with orlistat remained within the normal range. To ensure adequate intake of all nutrients, you can assign multivitamins.
- In patients with type 2 diabetes, a decrease in body weight during treatment with Xenical is accompanied by an improvement in the compensation of carbohydrate metabolism, which may or may require a reduction in the dose of hypoglycemic drugs (for example, sulfonylurea derivatives).
The likelihood of adverse reactions from the gastrointestinal tract may increase if Xenical is taken on a diet rich in fats (for example, 2000 kcal / day, of which more than 30% is in the form of fat, which equals about 67 g of fat). Daily fat intake should be divided into three main methods. If Xenical is taken with food that is very rich in fat, the likelihood of gastrointestinal reactions increases.
It is necessary to avoid simultaneous administration of Xenical® and acarbose, due to the lack of data from pharmacokinetic studies.
When taken simultaneously with Xenical®, a decrease in the absorption of vitamins D, E and beta-carotene was noted. If multivitamins are recommended, they should be taken at least 2 hours after taking Xenical® or before going to bed. While taking the drug Xenical® and cyclosporine, there was a decrease in plasma concentrations of cyclosporine, therefore more frequent determination of plasma cyclosporine concentrations while taking cyclosporine and Xenical® was recommended.
No interactions with amitriptyline, atorvastatin, biguanides, digoxin, fibrates, fluoxetine, losartan, phenytoin, oral contraceptives, phentermine, pravastatin, warfarin, nifedipine GITS (gastrointestinal therapy system, aphysyne, heparin, heparin, nifedipine GITS (gastrointestinal therapy system, aphro therapy, aphthyroidism, gastrointestinal therapy, aphthyroidism) studies of drug interactions). However, it is necessary to monitor the indicators of INR with concomitant therapy with warfarin or other oral anticoagulants.
With oral administration of amiodarone during therapy with Xenical®, there was a decrease in systemic exposure of amiodarone and dezethylamidone (by 25%; 30%), however, due to the complex pharmacokinetics of amiodarone, the clinical significance of this phenomenon is not clear. Adding Xenical® to long-term treatment with amiodarone may lead to a decrease in the therapeutic effect of amiodarone (no studies have been conducted).
While taking orlistat and antiepileptic drugs, there have been cases of seizures. The causal relationship between the development of seizures and therapy with orlistat has not been established. However, patients should be monitored for possible changes in the frequency and / or severity of the convulsive syndrome.
We picked up some reviews of people who took the drug Xenical for the purpose of losing weight:
- Helena. Like everyone wanted to lose weight. Has bought “Xenical”. What I want to say: the drug is expensive, I did not notice any weight loss, although I drank it for a month. And yet, this drug has a terrible side effect - this very fat that was not absorbed by the stomach during the meal, it just flows out. Yellow linen stains and the smell is just awful. After taking these pills, I came to the conclusion that the best way to lose weight is sport.
- Anna. Xenical experience with me twice! For the first time I drank pills and ate everything, really fat ran from all cracks! The second time I sat down on proper nutrition and on tablets, the effect is -30 kg for 6 months! And nothing flows everything is normal !!! Therefore, I will say this: there are no miracles, work is needed everywhere !!!!
- Lera. After the second birth, problems began with the thyroid gland, while she was treating her with hormones, gained 30 kg. weight. For me it was a moral shock. At first I tried to diet, except for nervous breakdowns, there was no benefit from them. Then she decided to buy Xenical capsules. Yes, I must say that a little expensive, but they are worth it. She began to take Xenical and immediately corrected her diet, began to eat very often, every 2-3 hours, but in small portions, she drank water no less than 2 liters. Xenical I took a month, which gave impetus to weight loss, for 6 months I lost 26 kg. and most importantly, the weight does not return!
Any diet pills cause controversial reviews. If you look at the forums in which people are losing weight and thinner, we can conclude that significant results can be achieved only if you deal with the problem of excess weight.
Many doctors believe the drug is a good help in the treatment of obesity, but its reception must be combined with a low-fat diet. During 1 month of Xenical treatment, even without significant physical and physical stress, you can lose 1.5-2 kg. Even better results are achieved when combining similar drug therapy with sports.
Depending on the individual characteristics of the organism and the careful observance of the doctor’s prescriptions, in 3 months it is possible to reduce body weight by 10-15 kg, and in 6 months - by 30 kg.
Xenical analogues with the same active substance as this medicine include: Orlimax capsules, Orsoten capsules, Leafat tablets, Orlimax-Light capsules, Leafate Mini tablets, Orlistat Canon capsules, Ally capsules, Xenalten capsules, Orsoten slim capsules.
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Store at a temperature not exceeding 25 ° C in a place protected from moisture, out of reach of children. Shelf life - 3 years.