Doxycycline, a broad spectrum semisynthetic antibiotic that belongs to the tetracycline pharmacological group and has a bacteriostatic effect on microorganisms, inhibits the ability of microbes to multiply in the body.
The antibiotic penetrates the cells of microorganisms and blocks the synthesis of proteins there. The drug has an effect on a large number of microbes - causative agents of aerobic (requiring oxygen for development) and anaerobic (they can develop without oxygen) infections.
On this page you will find all the information about doxycycline: complete instructions for use for this drug, average prices in pharmacies, complete and incomplete analogues of the drug, as well as reviews of people who have already used doxycycline. Want to leave your opinion? Please write in the comments.
An antibiotic of the tetracycline group.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released on prescription.
How much is doxycycline? The average price in pharmacies is at the level of 20 rubles.
Release form and composition
The tool is implemented in the form of capsules and lyophilisate, which is used to prepare a solution for infusion. Inside the capsules - yellowish powder with white patches. In the contour packaging - 5 tablets. The lyophilisate is contained in 100 mg ampoules, in a cardboard box with partitions there can be 5 or 10 ampoules.
- The drug contains capsules containing the active ingredient doxycycline (a substance in the form of doxycycline hiklata), as well as additional components: lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, potato starch. The capsule consists of glycerin, gelatin, propyl parahydroxybenzoate, methyl parahydroxybenzoate, sodium lauryl sulfate, additives E 104, E 110.
- Doxycycline in ampoules (lyophilisate used to prepare the solution for infusion), the composition has the active ingredient doxycycline (in the form of hydrochloride).
Doxycycline tablets are also dispersed.
The active ingredient Doxycycline has a bacteriostatic effect on many gram-positive and gram-negative microorganisms.
Penetrating into the cell, the drug acts on intracellularly located pathogens. The drug is active against most pathogens of serious infectious diseases - tularemia, plague and anthrax microbes, as well as brucella, legionella, rickettsia, Vibrio cholerae, and Sapa pathogens. In addition, the administration of doxycycline is effective in ureaplasma and chlamydia.
Unlike other antibiotics, doxycycline, according to the instructions, inhibits the intestinal flora to a lesser extent, and is also characterized by a longer duration of therapeutic action.
Indications for use
Indications for use of the drug are infectious-inflammatory diseases caused by microorganisms sensitive to Doxycycline:
- Infectious diseases of the eye.
- Infections of upper respiratory tract (sinusitis, tonsillitis, otitis media).
- Infections of soft tissues and skin (furunculosis, infected burns, abscesses, phlegmon, wounds).
- Infections of the gastrointestinal tract and biliary tract (cholangitis, cholecystitis, “travelers” diarrhea, bacterial dysentery, gastroenterocolitis).
- Respiratory tract infections (tracheitis, exacerbation of chronic bronchitis, acute bronchitis, bronchopneumonia, lung abscess, severe and moderate pneumonia, pleural empyema).
- Prevention of malaria provoked by Plasmodium falciparum during short-term travel (less than 4 months) in an area where strains resistant to pyrimethamine sulfadoxine and / or chloroquine are common.
- Urogenital system infections (endometritis, prostatitis, cystitis, urethritis, pyelonephritis, urethrocystitis, endocervicitis, urogenital mycoplasmosis, gonorrhea, acute orchiepididymitis).
- Iersinioz, Q fever, yaws, syphilis, typhus, typhoid (including tick-borne relapsing, typhus), Legionella pneumophila, Chlamydia different localization (including proctitis and prostatitis), Rocky Mountain spotted fever, cholera, malaria, Lyme disease (borreliosis) I v ., amoebic and bacillary dysentery, actinomycosis, tularemia.
- In the combined treatment - ornithosis, trachoma, whooping cough, leptospirosis, psittacosis, granulocyte ehrlichiosis, sepsis, osteomyelitis, brucellosis, peritonitis, subacute septic endocarditis, prevention of postoperative purulent complications.
Additionally for capsules: acne, rickettsiosis.
Both dosage forms are contraindicated if the patient has:
- porphyrin disease;
- individual intolerance to doxycycline and other tetracycline antibiotics;
- decreased white blood cell count;
- severe liver disease.
Contraindications to the appointment of intravenous injection is:
- children under 8 years old;
- myasthenia gravis
Capsules can not be used:
- children under 12 years old and with a body weight less than 45 kg;
- with intolerance to lactase, glucose and galactose.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
Doxycycline during pregnancy is contraindicated, as the active substance penetrates through the placenta and can adversely affect the development of teeth, slow down the development of the skeleton bones and provoke fatty infiltration of the liver.
You can not take the drug during breastfeeding.
Instructions for use
The instructions for use indicate that doxycycline is taken orally. For adults and children over 12 years old with a body weight of more than 45 kg, the average daily dose is 200 mg on the first day (divided into 2 doses - 100 mg 2 times a day), then 100 mg / day.
The use of doxycycline in the form of capsules is recommended after meals, drinking water to prevent possible irritation of the esophagus. The daily dose is taken either once in 24 hours, or twice with an interval of 12 hours:
- With acne - 100 mg / day, the course - 6-12 weeks.
- With chronic urinary system infections - 200 mg / day throughout the entire period of therapy.
- In the treatment of syphilis - 300 mg / day for at least 10 days.
- For uncomplicated infections of the urethra, cervix and rectum caused by Chlamydia trachomatis, 100 mg are prescribed 2 times a day for at least 7 days.
- Treatment of leptospirosis - 100 mg orally 2 times a day for 7 days; prevention of leptospirosis - 200 mg once a week during a stay in a disadvantaged area and 200 mg at the end of the trip.
- Diarrhea of “travelers” (prophylaxis) - 200 mg on the first day of the trip (1 reception or 100 mg 2 times a day), 100 mg 1 time a day during the entire stay in the region (no more than 3 weeks).
- Infections of the male genital organs - 100 mg 2 times a day for 4 weeks. Treatment of chloroquine-resistant malaria - 200 mg / day for 7 days (in combination with schizontocidal drugs - quinine); malaria prophylaxis -100 mg 1 time per day 1-2 days before the trip, then daily during the trip and for 4 weeks after returning;
- In the treatment of gonorrhea, prescribed according to one of the following schemes: acute uncomplicated urethritis - a course dose of 500 mg (1 dose - 300 mg, the next 2 - 100 mg each with an interval of 6 hours) or 100 mg / day until complete cure (in women) or 100 mg 2 times a day for 7 days (for men); with complicated forms of gonorrhea, the course dose is -800-900 mg, which is divided into 6-7 doses (300 mg - 1 dose, then with an interval of 6 hours for 5-6 subsequent).
- Prevention of infections after medical abortion - 100 mg 1 hour before abortion and 200 mg - 30 minutes after.
The maximum daily doses for adults are up to 300 mg / day or up to 600 mg / day for 5 days with severe gonococcal infections.
In the presence of severe liver failure, a decrease in the daily dose of doxycycline is required, since this causes its gradual accumulation in the body (risk of a hepatotoxic action).
The undesirable effects of the drug Doxycycline reviews and clinical studies include:
- skin rash, swelling, itching;
- sweating, dizziness;
- nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, anorexia;
- rarely, eosinophilia (increase in the number of eosinophils in the blood), photosensitivity (increased sensitivity to light), angioedema (increase in part or all of the face, extremities).
With prolonged use - thrombocytopenia (reduced platelet count), neutropenia (reduced neutrophil count), hemolytic anemia (sustained destruction of red blood cells), development of intestinal dysbiosis, thrush, persistent discoloration of teeth.
Acute overdose Doxycycline is rare.
Symptoms: With the introduction of high doses, especially in patients with impaired liver function, neurotoxic reactions may occur: dizziness, nausea, vomiting, seizures, impairment of consciousness due to increased intracranial pressure. Possible damage to the parenchyma of the kidneys, the development of pancreatitis, increased other adverse reactions.
Treatment: drug withdrawal, gastric lavage with activated carbon, symptomatic therapy, oral antacids and magnesium sulfate are prescribed to prevent doxycycline absorption. Since tetracyclines can form chelate complexes with calcium salts, during intoxication, as a counteraction, calcium salts can be used.
There is no specific antidote.
Hemodialysis does not affect the half-life of serum, so it is not effective in overdose.
- With prolonged use of Doxycycline, the function of the blood-forming organs and the liver should be periodically monitored.
- In order to avoid a local irritating action (gastritis, esophagitis), it is recommended to take doxycycline during daytime hours with plenty of liquid and food.
- In case of overdose, especially in patients with impaired liver function, the development of neurotoxic reactions is possible: seizures, nausea, dizziness, vomiting, impaired consciousness, which is associated with increased intracranial pressure.
During treatment, it is recommended to refrain from all activities that require increased attention and quick motor and mental reactions, including driving.
- Doxycycline is not taken in conjunction with other antibiotics of the tetracycline group.
- The simultaneous appointment of doxycycline and retinol leads to an increase in intracranial pressure.
- Doxycycline can be combined with the appointment of Metronidazole. This combination is often used in the treatment of pelvic organs.
- Calcium and iron preparations reduce the absorption of Doxycycline, form inactive compounds (chelates) with it, and therefore are not simultaneously administered.
- Cholestyramine, Cholestipol also reduce the absorption of Doxycycline, they should not be used at the same time, the interval between doses should be at least 3 hours.
- Doxycycline is not prescribed simultaneously with antibiotics of bactericidal action (cause the death of microorganisms), since they are bacteriostatic antagonists, one of which is doxycycline. Therefore, he is not appointed simultaneously with penicillin, cephalosporin antibiotics.
- Carbamazepine, barbiturates, Phenytoin, Rifampicin reduce the effectiveness of doxycycline in connection with the production of enzymes that reduce the concentration of antibiotic in the blood plasma.
- The effectiveness of estrogen-containing contraceptives decreases with the use of doxycycline; the frequency of bleeding increases. It is necessary to change the method of contraception.
- Doxycycline is incompatible with alkaline preparations (sodium bicarbonate or baking soda; antacids containing salts of magnesium, bismuth, aluminum) and with drugs unstable in an acidic medium (Erythromycin, Hydrocortisone, Aminophylline).
- Doxycycline inhibits intestinal microflora, which leads to a decrease in the prothrombin index. In this regard, the effect of drugs that lower blood clotting is enhanced. Such drugs include warfarin, fenilin and others; with doxycycline treatment, dosage adjustment is necessary.
We picked up some reviews from people about Doxycycline:
- Nataliya. The drug, surprisingly, very well helped in the treatment of the upper respiratory tract, was very surprised by its low price and high efficiency, took it after meals and drank a day to 1.5 liters of water so that the intestine was not injured.
- Tatyana. Saw Doxycycline from cervicitis, in a smear an elevated white blood cell count was found. I was prescribed to drink 100 mg 3 times a day, for a week. There were no adverse reactions during treatment. Has handed over smear all is normal. An effective and inexpensive drug that costs only 15 rubles.
- Anna. The antibiotic is very strong, immunity impresses completely. I drank along with nystatin (the doctor prescribed it), afterwards I was cured with various drugs like linex and hilak-forte. Yes, the effect of the treatment is visible and quick, but health is also great.
Analogues of the drug Doxycycline are:
- Unidox Solutab;
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Capsules should be stored away from children at a temperature not exceeding 25 degrees. The shelf life of the drug is 36 months from the date of production, after it expires, the drug is recyclable.