Desitin is composed of zinc oxide, which has a local astringent effect, reducing the impact of irritating factors on it.
The drug is available in the form of ointment, which is applied to problem areas. Perfectly protects skin from moisture, diaper rash. Used to protect the skin of children with the development of dermatitis from diapers or diapers, cuts, scratches and sunburn.
On this page you will find all the information about Desitin: complete instructions for use for this drug, average prices in pharmacies, complete and incomplete analogues of the drug, as well as reviews of people who have already used Desitin. Want to leave your opinion? Please write in the comments.
A preparation with an astringent and drying action for external use.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released without a prescription.
How much does Desitin cost? The average price in pharmacies is between 140 and 240 rubles for a 57-gram tube.
Release form and composition
Ointment homogeneous consistency. It is white or pale yellow in color, has some grain and a peculiar odor inherent in cod oil. During storage, a slight separation into fractions is possible, which is considered permissible and does not affect the healing properties. The tool is packaged in 57 g in plastic tubes with a screw cap. In a pack of cardboard - one tube, instructions for use.
Content of substances in 1 g of ointment:
- Active ingredient: zinc oxide - 0.4 g
- Additional ingredients: anhydrous lanolin, white petrolatum, cod liver oil, E320, talc, aromatic oil, E218, water.
The action of Desitin cream is aimed at eliminating discomfort, restoration of damaged skin and prevention of infection of the epidermis.
You can highlight the following positive properties and features of this drug:
- Dries skin rashes, including acne, acne and blackheads;
- It has an antiseptic effect, preventing infection of the damaged area;
- Improves the protective properties of the epidermis, creating a waterproof film on its surface;
- It has a preventive effect, can be used under the diaper for children from the first days of life;
- It has an anti-inflammatory effect, preventing the further spread of the inflammatory focus;
- Dries the wound, preventing the formation of inflammatory processes with weeping wounds;
- It has a mild and safe action, has no contraindications, except for individual intolerance;
- It has astringent properties that eliminate the discomfort and pain that occurs on the affected skin.
Indications for use
What helps? According to the instructions, Desitin is indicated for use in the following cases:
- Diaper dermatitis in newborns;
- Superficial skin wounds (abrasions, cuts, scratches);
- Diaper rash;
- Herpes simplex;
- Eczema in the period of exacerbation;
- Slight burns of any origin, small in size (solar, thermal);
- Creeps in babies;
- Ulcerative lesions of the skin, including trophic ulcers.
Desitin Ointment is used to treat the skin of newborns, as the drug is completely safe, it is not absorbed into the blood, and therefore does not cause side effects. Especially recommended drug for newborns with sensitive skin, which often suffers from diaper dermatitis, various kinds of abrasions, diaper rash and irritation.
Use of the drug is contraindicated in people with individual intolerance to the components of the drug.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
It is possible to use the drug Desitin during pregnancy and lactation (breastfeeding) according to indications.
Instructions for use
The instructions for use indicate that Desitin is intended for external use only.
- For the prevention of diaper rash, the drug is applied to the skin covered with a diaper or diaper until signs of irritation appear, especially at bedtime, when the child can be in wet diapers for a long time.
- For the treatment of diaper rash in children (starting from infancy), when the first signs of redness, diaper rash or slight irritation of the skin appear, the ointment is applied 3 or more times a day as needed. As a rule, the ointment is applied to the washed and dried affected area during any diaper change.
- For cuts, minor burns, scratches and sunburns, the preparation is applied in a thin layer only on superficial and uninfected lesions. If necessary, use gauze dressings.
According to reviews, Desitin does not cause any side effects. In some cases, itching, burning, skin rash and hyperemia are possible.
Cases of overdose are not fixed, since Desitin's components are practically not absorbed into the circulatory system and, accordingly, cannot provoke the occurrence of systemic effects.
Do not allow ointment to get into the eyes. If, when using the drug, the rash does not disappear within 48-72 hours, then the clinical situation should be re-evaluated.
Ointment should not be applied if the damaged skin is infected.
Data on the interaction of the drug with other drugs are not available.
We picked up some reviews from people about Desitin:
- Tatyana. It helped very well with diaper rash in an adult, although the smell is something! (Our zinc ointment did not give such an effect, so it’s better not to waste time).
- Marina. Desitin (ointment) cream was recommended to us by a random woman in the queue when she heard our problem. The daughter appeared diaper rash, and they greatly disturbed her. I also read the reviews on the cream, so I still decided to try. The cost is not high, and what I liked, the packaging is quite large. The smell of the cream is not very nasty. Economical, thanks to its dense texture. But applying it to the skin is not difficult, and it is absorbed quickly, surprisingly. And most importantly, it perfectly helps to eliminate redness and rash.
- Margarita. At 2 months, the child began to appear diaper rash, and I had to give up a lot. But it didn't get any better. By chance I came across this cream. I tried. And in the morning the result struck me. After three days the skin recovered. The texture is pleasant and the smell is good. And I have enough cream for a long time. We will continue to use it.
The replacement of this tool can be:
- Zinc paste. However, it is a very dangerous drug in terms of a strong eavesdropping of the skin.
- Zinc ointment: it is more effective for the treatment of diaper rash and does not dry the skin as much as a paste,
- Talk Tsindol - also quite effective and inexpensive drug, well coping with the treatment of diaper rash.
- Sudokrem. But now he has disappeared from sale in Russian pharmacies, and it can only be bought with a huge surcharge from foreign dealers.
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Desitin should be kept out of the reach of children at a temperature not exceeding 30 ° C. Shelf life - 3 years.