Heparin ointment is a combined preparation, a direct acting anticoagulant, intended for external use.
The ointment looks like a homogeneous jelly-like mass of white color with a yellowish tint, no odor. The main active ingredient is heparin, which is gradually released from the ointment when applied topically, has an antithrombotic effect and reduces inflammation.
On this page you will find all the information about Heparin ointment: complete instructions for use for this drug, average prices in pharmacies, complete and incomplete analogues of the drug, as well as reviews of people who have already used Heparin ointment. Want to leave your opinion? Please write in the comments.
Clinical and pharmacological group
Anticoagulant direct action.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released without a prescription.
How much is Heparin ointment? The average price in pharmacies is 100 rubles.
Release form and composition
Ointment for external use. Tubes 25 g. The basis of Heparin ointment are:
- sodium heparin, which blocks blood clotting and blood clot formation — 2500 IU per tube volume;
- Benzocaine - anesthetic that prevents the transmission of nerve impulses - 1 g;
- benzyl nicotinate - stimulates blood flow, has an irritating and warming effect - 20 mg.
Additionally, the medication contains: glycerin, petrolatum, purified water, corn and / or sunflower oil, emulsifiers, etc., depending on the technology of a particular manufacturer.
The active ingredients of the drug have the following effect:
- Benzyl nicotinate promotes the expansion of superficial vessels, helping the rapid absorption of heparin into the blood.
- Benzocaine is a powerful local anesthetic that removes the pain symptom in a short time.
- Heparin, released from the ointment after applying it to the affected area, suppresses the inflammatory process and promotes the resorption of blood clots. This substance reduces the amount of fibrin in the blood - a protein that is the basis of a blood clot. As a result, the ability of cells to stick together with each other is significantly reduced. Heparin is not able to dissolve the thrombus itself, but it stops the process of its further increase and gradually the thrombus dissolves.
The simultaneous action of the three main components and determine the effectiveness of the drug, ensuring the rapid elimination of severe symptoms.
Indications for use
What helps? Indications for use or when prescribed Heparin ointment:
- during treatment of dislocations and other traumatic injuries of the joints;
- edema caused by extensive injuries;
- with hemorrhoidal thrombosis - a disease manifested by the expansion of hemorrhoidal veins and their blockage;
- with thrombophlebitis - diseases of the veins caused by the formation of blood clots that block blood flow;
- with varicose veins, its complications - the disease manifests itself in a pathological increase in the diameter of the vein, thinning of its wall and the formation of nodes according to the type of local aneurysm of such extensions;
- in the treatment of extensive hematomas, both muscle and tendon;
- for the treatment of vein inflammation.
When prescribing a dosage of medication, the doctor always takes into account the general condition of the patient, so it is always individual.
Heparin bruise ointment is used only topically, and is applied only to intact skin. It is impossible to lubricate the drug open, purulent or bleeding wounds, necrotic ulcers.
Since the effect of Heparin ointment is based on the suppression of thrombosis, it is unacceptable to use it in violation of blood clotting processes and increased bleeding, with a low level of platelets in the blood, as well as with increased sensitivity to the components of the drug.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
Can it be used during pregnancy and feeding? The effect on the body of heparin ointment during pregnancy and lactation has not been fully studied. It is known that the components of the drug have no systemic action, except for heparin, which does not penetrate into breast milk or placental circulation.
Therefore, the drug may be recommended for careful use by expectant mothers during such a period as breastfeeding.
Instructions for use
The instructions for use indicate that Heparin ointment is applied to the affected area two to three p / day (0.5-1gr per area with a diameter of 3-5cm), gently rubbing into the skin. The course of treatment usually lasts until the disappearance of inflammatory processes, usually 3-7 days.
Heparin ointment for hemorrhoids is applied to rectal tampons or dressings (usually from calf fabric), which are then inserted into the anus or applied to hemorrhoids, respectively (dressings must be fixed after application).
Heparin ointment is used for hemorrhoids every day, and the course of treatment lasts until the disappearance of painful symptoms - usually not more than 3-14 days.
If there is individual intolerance to any of the components, they can develop allergic reactions: spots, rashes, urticaria, redness of the skin, itching, burning at the site of application, swelling of tissues. If any of these phenomena occur, you should immediately stop applying the ointment and contact your doctor to select another medication.
Prolonged application of ointment to a large area of the body can lead to hemorrhagic complications. That is why any medications with heparin, including ointment, should be used according to the instructions and only as directed by the dermatologist, phlebologist, therapist, proctologist, and pediatrician.
The danger of an overdose is virtually absent, since the active ingredients are contained in a small volume, and when absorbed into the blood gets a small amount.
Heparin ointment does not have any influence on the work of the nervous system and does not inhibit the speed of psychomotor reactions, so it can be used without fear to treat motor transport drivers or workers who operate complex mechanisms.
This drug is given with special caution to patients with blood clotting disorders. During the period of therapy, the patient is monitored for blood counts and general condition.
Not prescribed topically at the same time with tetracyclines, NSAIDs, antihistamine drugs.
We picked up some people reviews about Heparin ointment:
- Ella. The ointment helped me when I gave birth. I had an external type of hemorrhoids at the time. Denoted nodes. It was very painful. I applied the ointment for a night, for 2 weeks, daily. It helped. First, the nodes decreased, and then I forgot about them altogether.
- Zina. I used this ointment when I found the mesh on my legs. Due to its thick consistency, it is easy and quick to apply. I used it for 4 days. Three times a day, rubbed, where the stars appeared. During this time, the reticulum did not come off at all, but it became not so bright.
- Dasha. I have long been familiar with heparin ointment, but I only knew about its effectiveness from bruises. I would not venture to smear under the eyes (all the same, there are special tools for this), but I'll try everything else. Although from vascular stars, I think it is unlikely to help.
- Valeria. Somehow, a heparin ointment appeared at home - from which the medicine helps, I had no idea. Mom suggested that this unique thing must be kept in stock. The tool helps in stretching joints, tendons, injuries, periphlebitis, post-infusion phlebitis, trophic ulcers. The cost of the medicine is about 70 rubles.
In general, reviews of Heparin ointment for hemorrhoids are extremely positive - the drug works great when it comes to such a delicate problem, while in the presence of evidence it can be used even during pregnancy. The ointment for varicose veins has also proved itself as well: patients say that spider veins on their legs noticeably decrease (and sometimes disappear completely) after 1-2 weeks of regular use.
Pros and cons of medication
Of the benefits worth noting:
- long shelf life (3 years);
- complex effects;
- low price, availability;
- ease of use;
- almost no side effects;
- well resolves hematomas.
Disadvantages of heparin ointment:
- if there is an allergy, then anti-allergic drugs do not always save;
- ointment rather fat;
- may cause burning and redness of the skin;
- average level of efficiency.
Analogs Heparin ointment on the active substance is not released. The analogues of Heparin ointment on the mechanism of action and belonging to the same pharmacological group include:
- Venitan Forte;
- Heparin-Acrigel 1000;
- Lioton 1000;
- Hepatrombin C;
- Trombless Plus;
- Troxevasin Neo.
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Heparin ointment must be kept out of the reach of children and protected from light by a dry place at room temperature up to 20 ° C. Shelf life in compliance with the recommendations is 3 years.