Ambroxol is a mucolytic agent, that is, a drug that dilutes sputum and facilitates the process of its removal from the lungs. The active ingredient of this drug is ambroxol hydrochloride.
The main action is aimed at increasing the secretion of the glands of the respiratory tract, stimulating the activity of the villi of the respiratory tract, enhancing the process of excretion of surfactant (surfactants) by the lungs.
On this page you will find all the information about Ambroxol: complete instructions for use for this drug, average prices in pharmacies, complete and incomplete analogues of the drug, as well as reviews of people who have already used Ambroxol. Want to leave your opinion? Please write in the comments.
Clinical and pharmacological group
Pharmacy sales terms
The drug is approved for use as a means of OTC.
How much does Ambroxol cost? The average price in pharmacies is 25 rubles per pill and 65 rubles per syrup.
Release form and composition
Ambroxol is available in the form:
- tablets (effervescent and sucking), lozenges, syrup, inhalation solution;
- solutions for injection, infusion and oral administration;
- hard capsules, retard capsules, concentrate for solution for infusion.
The composition of 5 ml Ambroxol syrup 15 mg included ambroxol hydrochloride (Ambroxol hydrochloride) and several other ingredients: sodium benzoate (E211, Sodium benzoate), propylene glycol (Propylene glycol), glycerin (Glycerinum), saccharin sodium (Saccharin sodium), sorbitol (E420; Sorbitol), hydroxyethylcellulose (Hydroxyethylcellulose), citric acid monohydrate (Citric acid monohydrate), flavors (flavors), flavors raspberry, orange), menthol (Mentholum), purified water (Aquae purificati).
AT Ambroxol tablets contains 30 mg ambroxol hydrochloride (Ambroxol hydrochloride) as an active ingredient and excipients: lactose monohydrate (Lactose monohydrate), corn starch (Amylum maidis), microcrystalline cellulose (Cellulose microcristallic), magnesium stearate (Magnesium stearate), silica (Silicii dioxydum).
Ambroxol is a mucolytic that allows you to quickly and efficiently remove sputum from the respiratory organs. The chemical composition is absolutely safe, because the risk of side effects is minimal. Thanks to the use of ambroxol, the villi of the respiratory tract are activated. It provides a quick release of light surfactant. Due to these processes, it is possible to achieve rapid dilution of sputum, to stimulate its excretion from the body and stop coughing.
The following features are characteristic of this product:
- The drug activates the release of light surfactant - a protective factor. Due to this, it is possible to achieve effective protection of the tissues of the respiratory organs.
- The basis of the drug is ambroxol hydrochloride. It is a metabolite of bromhexine and is a non-toxic substance.
- When using the drug can reduce the viscosity of sputum. Thanks to this, you can make the mucus more liquid and successfully remove it from the body.
- The tool strengthens the immune system and improves the penetration of antibacterial agents into the lungs. That is why Ambroxol is often combined with antibiotics prescribed by a doctor.
The complex use of the product is highly effective and helps not only to quickly eliminate the cough, but also to cope with the pathology.
What cough to take?
Many potential and real patients do not always understand in which case cough is worth taking this drug. The instruction states that it is rational to use the agent in the case of infectious-inflammatory processes of the lung system. After all, for this reason, there is a cough, which is called unproductive (dry). In the case of the start of the isolation of accumulated exudate, the cough reflex becomes wet. Many people do not see the difference between the two types of phenomena, so the question: what cough to take, is relevant.
It is worth noting that with a dry cough, it is effective and should be applied without fail. This approach will make the patient's condition much easier and speed up the healing process. But if the cough is excessively unproductive, you should not rely solely on this method of treatment. First you need to provide mucus aid in getting into the upper respiratory tract. To do this, the substance must be combined with other drugs. The composition is applied to children in syrup, and adults are best to use tablets.
Indications for use
In accordance with the instructions for use, Ambroxol is prescribed in cases of respiratory diseases, against the background of which sputum is formed, in chronic and acute bronchitis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, pneumonia, bronchiectasis and bronchial asthma.
Ambroxol tablets, solution and syrup are used to prevent and treat respiratory distress syndrome in newborns and premature babies, as well as to stimulate prenatal lung maturation.
Ambroxol should not be taken in such cases:
- Individual intolerance to ambroxol hydrochloride or other auxiliary components of the drug.
- Early gestational age (I trimester) - the penetration of ambroxol hydrochloride into the fetus through the placenta does not exclude its negative effect.
- Congenital or acquired enzyme deficiencies in the digestive system that catalyze the breakdown of fructose.
- Ulcerative pathology of the mucous membrane of the duodenum or stomach - Ambroxol hydrochloride can accelerate cell damage by reducing the protective properties of the mucous membrane of these organs.
The use of Ambroxol syrup in late periods (II and III trimester) of pregnancy and during breastfeeding is possible, but only for medical reasons, which are determined by the doctor. This necessarily analyzes the positive therapeutic effects on the mother's body and the potential risk of adverse effects on the fetus or infant.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
The drug is not recommended for use during the first trimester of pregnancy. If you need Ambroxol in the II-III trimesters of pregnancy and during breastfeeding, you should evaluate the potential benefits for the mother with a possible risk to the fetus / child.
Instructions for use Ambroxol
The instructions for use indicate that Ambroxol tablets apply inside, during a meal, with a small amount of liquid.
- Adults and children over 12 years old are prescribed - 30 mg 3 times a day. in the first 2-3 days, then 30 mg 2 times a day. or 15 mg (half a tablet) 3 times a day.
- Children 6-12 years old - 15 mg (half a tablet) 2-3 times a day.
Ambroxol Syrup It is taken internally in a certain volume, which can be controlled with a measuring spoon. The dosage of the drug depends on the severity of the disease and the age of the patient. Recommended age dosage of the drug for children:
- For children under 2 years of age, the doctor decides on the use of Ambroxol syrup individually.
- The child’s age is from 2 to 6 years old - ¼ part of a measuring spoon (1.25 ml of syrup) 2-3 times a day (7.5-11.25 mg of ambroxol per day).
- The child is 6 to 12 years old - ½ measuring spoons (2.5 ml of syrup) 3 times a day (daily dose of 22.5 mg of ambroxol hydrochloride).
- Age over 12 years - 1 scoop (5 ml) 2-3 times a day (30-45 mg of ambroxol hydrochloride per day).
The first 2-3 days from the onset of the disease it is recommended to take the drug 3 times a day, then switch to a maintenance age dose with its intake 2 times a day. It is desirable to drink syrup with plenty of water, which will improve the dilution of sputum in a child and its subsequent elimination.
It is not recommended to use without a medical appointment for more than 4-5 days.
Ambroxol for inhalation
It is possible to carry out the procedure with the help of any modern heat-moist nebulizer. Use according to the instructions for inhalation of special forms or drops, solutions that do not contain flavoring agents, sugar. Dilute the preparation with a solution of sodium chloride (0.9%) 1: 1 before use, heat up to 36 degrees Celsius. Ambroxol Instructions for use:
- 7-15 mg of the substance for 1-2 procedures per day prescribed for children up to 2 years;
- 2-6 years - 2 times a day for 15-30 mg;
- children older than 2 inhalation of 15-45 mg of the substance.
This drug is well tolerated by patients, adverse reactions are extremely rare. The Ambroxol instructions for use indicate the following negative effects of its administration:
- heartburn, dry mouth, dyspepsia, vomiting, nausea, diarrhea;
- rash, urticaria, anaphylactic reactions, angioedema, allergic reactions;
- weakness, headache;
- very rarely - Stevens-Johnson syndrome, Lyell's syndrome.
In case of overdose of the drug, intoxication was not detected. Possible development of diarrhea and the emergence of signs of nervous excitement. When taking excessively large doses, there may be a decrease in blood pressure, increased salivation, nausea and vomiting.
If there are changes on the part of the skin and mucous membranes, taking the drug should be stopped and consult a doctor.
Data on the impact on the ability to drive vehicles and the management of various mechanisms is not available.
With simultaneous use of Ambroxol tablets with other antitussive drugs that inhibit the cough reflex, sputum stagnation can occur, leading to the development of fairly dangerous conditions. Therefore, such combinations of drugs should be chosen with extreme caution.
The combined use of Ambroxol and antibacterial drugs (amoxicillin, erythromycin, cefuroxime and doxycycline) leads to a significant increase in the concentration of etiotropic components in bronchial secretions.
The drug Ambroxol is a very popular means to effectively treat respiratory diseases. It normalizes the work bronchial cilia, dilutes accumulated mucus and activates its excretion.
The use of the solution for inhalation, injection, syrup or tablets Ambroxol - reviews are evidence of this - enhances the formation of an agent that clears the mucus of the bronchi and lungs, and also prolongs its duration. Reviews of Ambroxol Syrup indicate that this drug has virtually no flaws. It effectively eliminates the unpleasant symptoms of the disease, reduces inflammation and stimulates immunoglobulin synthesisthat in turn contributes strengthen local immunity.
Another advantage of the drug is its price - both tablets and syrup for children belong to the category of inexpensive medicines.
Ambroxol has a lot of analogues that are available for purchase in most city pharmacies. The most popular among them are:
Most of these drugs, like Ambroxol, are prescribed for respiratory diseases. They help in a short time to reduce the severity of painful symptoms and improve the patient's well-being.
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
In accordance with the instructions, Ambroxol must be kept out of the reach of children and free from direct sunlight, a dry place at room temperature not exceeding 25 ° C. The drug is dispensed from pharmacies without a prescription, its shelf life, subject to compliance with all the recommendations of the manufacturer, is three years.