Coughing is like a defensive reflex of the human body. Coughing, the body "removes" toxins, bacteria, sputum. Therefore, doctors and not in a hurry to prescribe drugs from him.
However, the cough, at times, lasts up to several weeks, causing the patient great discomfort and causing complications.
That is why it is so important to know which disease caused the cough, the better to treat it, and which cough pills are inexpensive but effective.
What dry cough pills are better
Cough is usually divided into dry or wet (wet). The treatment of each type of cough has its own characteristics and determines which cough tablets must be selected.
- If the cough is dry, painful, without sputum, interferes with normal sleep and is difficult to tolerate the sick, then anti-tough preparations will be the most preferable for its treatment.
- For wet cough, it is usually a cough for colds, recommended drugs that dilute sputum (mucolytics) and facilitate its elimination (expectorant).
Remember that cough occurs due to a variety of causes and various diseases, which makes it necessary to select well-defined, most effective cough pills for treating the corresponding ailment, eliminating or alleviating a certain type of cough.
What are cough pills?
The choice of effective and inexpensive cough tablets depends on its nature.
- Drugs with a bronchodilator effect. They relax the smooth muscles of the bronchi and relieve spasm, thereby eliminating the coughing fit. These funds are used for bronchitis and other diseases accompanied by spasm of the walls of the respiratory tract.
- Mucolytics. Such tablets today are considered one of the main components in the treatment of wet cough. They also restore the bronchial mucous membranes and the elasticity of the lungs. Their action is aimed at diluting the thick and viscous secretion of bronchial glands without increasing the secretion of sputum to facilitate their evacuation from the lower and upper respiratory tract. This group of drugs include Ambroxol, ACC, Bromhexin, Carbotstsitein.
- Drugs that inhibit the cough reflex at the central level - in the cough center of the brain, by increasing the threshold of irritability and almost complete blocking of cough. The classic representatives are opioids of the codeine type (Codelac, Terpincod), the main disadvantage of which is depression of the entire nervous system, incompatibility with alcohol, weak, but still developing addiction.
- Non-opioid antitussive central action - butamirate (Sinekod, Omnitus), which is devoid of the disadvantages of opioids and does not affect the central nervous system.
- Expectorant oral medications do not affect cough, they rather locally act on the mucus in the respiratory tract itself, diluting it. Thus it is possible to clear up faster and easier. Most experts acknowledge the fact that ordinary mineral water is considered to be the best cough thinning agent, and among cough medicine cure leaders are Gvayfenezin. Gvayfenezin clears the mucus from the airways, but the list of side effects of the medication is nausea and vomiting, so be careful and follow the dosage.
- Combined cough medicine has an effect in several directions at once and helps to solve several problems simultaneously.
The most common causes of coughing are pharyngitis, laryngitis, tracheitis, inflammation of the bronchi and lungs, bronchial asthma, lung cancer, whooping cough, pathology of the heart and blood vessels, allergies.
Stoptussin tablets or drops containing butamirate and guaifenesin. These substances have a local anesthetic, bronchodilator and antitussive effect, reduce the viscosity of sputum, facilitate its discharge. Side effects that occur when stopping cough "Stoptussin": allergic reactions, dyspeptic symptoms, dizziness.
This medicine enhances the effects of alcohol, sleeping pills and analgesics. The drug should be used only in cases where the cough becomes stubborn, strong and requires intensive treatment.
Mukaltin cough pills of plant origin on the basis of Althea drug. The drug has anti-inflammatory and expectorant effect, dilutes the sputum and accelerates its excretion.
After taking the drug Mukaltin forms a film of plant mucus on the surface of the mucous membrane of the upper respiratory tract. This contributes to a longer lasting effects of other cough pills, which are used simultaneously with Mukaltin. Positive feedback.
Falimint is a local remedy - these are lozenges that are effective for dry, unproductive coughing. Falimint relieves irritation, dilutes sputum, anesthesizes. The product is quickly absorbed, so relief comes almost instantly.
Falimint tablets can be absorbed up to 10 times a day, but they should not be used for more than a few days. This drug is not prescribed to children under four years of age, lactating and pregnant women.
Another classic anti-cough medicine, Ambrobene, allows you to get rid of all cold symptoms through its well-known mucolytic and expectorant effect.
As a rule, tablets and syrup are used in the transition from dry to wet cough, when there is obstructed sputum discharge (pneumonia, asthma, bronchitis). A similar composition and effect has the drug "Lasolvan".
Thermopsis - cough pills
Thermopsis - tablets, which include the herb itself thermopsis and sodium bicarbonate, which increases the secretion of sputum, while reducing its viscosity.
Many years have passed since these inexpensive pills appeared, but the effectiveness and popularity of this medicine in the treatment of cough does not decrease. The cost is only 50-60 rubles for 20 tablets.
ACC Long is an effective remedy for cough prolonged action. Means is issued in the convenient form of the tablets dissolving in water. Only one day is required per day. The active substance is acetylcysteine. It reduces the viscosity of sputum and quickly removes it.
The tool is contraindicated in children under 14 years of age, during lactation and during pregnancy. The price is about 320 rubles per pack of 10 tablets.
The drug Sinekod is prescribed for the treatment of dry cough of any etiology. It is laryngitis, chronic and acute bronchitis, tracheitis, flu, etc. It is worth noting that it should be used for painful dry cough, in the case of wet cough, it is recommended to use the drug only at night.
The active ingredient in this medicinal syrup is butamirate, which has anti-inflammatory and bronchodilatory effects.
A plant-based drug that has an expectorant effect. The active ingredients of Travisil have immunostimulating and antiseptic properties. The drug is prescribed when coughing a different etiology. Lollipops are administered orally.
Method of administration: adults and children from 12 years old - 3 tablets three times a day, and children older than 3 years are not recommended to consume more than 3 lozenges a day.
The drug, which is a plant cough syrup and is used as a symptomatic drug in the treatment of diseases of the respiratory tract, accompanied by dry irritating cough or cough with sputum difficult to separate.
At the heart of Dr. Mohm are dry extracts from the roots, leaves, seeds, flowers, bark of such medicinal plants: Barbados aloe, wasatika adatods, elecaceae of brushwood, sacred basilica, medicinal ginger, licorice, long turmeric, cubeb pepper, Indian nightshade and belerian terminal .
Codelac is presented in the form of tablets and syrup. It is a combined antitussive opioid, helps reduce the excitability of the cough center. Contains codeine, thermopsis herb, licorice root. With long-term use may be addictive.
Contraindications: pregnancy, lactation, respiratory failure, bronchial asthma, children under 24 months, hypersensitivity to the drug. Application: 1 tablet no more than three times a day, the daily dose should not exceed 200 mg.
What is a good herbal cough medicine?
In addition to drugs, any pharmacist will offer herbal medicines. It:
- Dr. Mom,
- Bromhexine (flaminamine, Solvin, bisolvon),
- Acetylcysteine (ACC, fluimucil, mucobene),
- Carbocisteine (Estive, Broncoclar, Mucosol),
- Ambroxol (Ambrobene, Lasolvan).
As you can see, a great many drugs, and determine what a good cough medicine, is almost impossible.
Recipes of traditional medicine for the treatment of cough at home are very many. Here are some of them.
- Mix hot milk with alkaline mineral water (1/2 cup of milk and 1/2 cup of Borjomi) or honey (1 teaspoon of honey per cup of hot milk). Take 1 glass three times a day.
- Lingonberry juice with honey. Take three times a day and 1 tablespoon.
- Take: marshmallow (root) - 40 g, licorice (root) - 25 g, coltsfoot (leaves) - 20 g, fennel (fruits) - 15 g. In a thermos put 2 tablespoons of the mixture, pour a glass of boiling water , insist 10-12 hours, filter. Drink 1 / 4-1 / 3 cup 3-5 times a day.
- A tablespoon of the leaves of a coltsfoot is poured with a glass of boiling water, drawn for half an hour and filtered. Take a tablespoon 5-6 times a day.
Choose effective cough pills by consulting a doctor.