Sinusitis is a type of sinusitis that is characterized by inflammation of the maxillary sinus. It is an acute or chronic inflammation of the maxillary sinus.
The name of the disease comes from the name of the sinus, the defeat of which causes the disease. The inflammatory process affects one or both of the maxillary sinuses located in the nose, around the eyes, behind the cheeks and forehead.
Sinusitis is often accompanied by a cold and can cause headache or pressure in the eyes, nose, cheek or on one side of the head. Sick sinusitis can also have a cough, fever, bad breath and a runny nose. In addition to all this, a person's memory deteriorates, working capacity decreases and fatigue increases.
It should be noted that if you do not begin to treat sinusitis at the initial stage, then it will develop into the next, purulent stage. As a result, you will have other serious illnesses. About sinus, symptoms and treatment of this disease will be discussed in our article.
The main cause of acute sinusitis is an acute respiratory infection, the spread of infection in diseases of the teeth (odontogenic sinusitis), an allergic reaction (allergic sinusitis). If acute sinusitis is not completely cured, it becomes chronic - long-term suppurative bacterial inflammation of the maxillary sinuses occurs.
Distortion of the nasal septum, the presence of chronic foci of infection in the nasal cavity and mouth (for example, chronic pharyngitis, chronic tonsillitis, chronic rhinitis, adenoids) can also cause sinusitis.
The main link in the development of both acute and chronic antritis is blockage of the orifice of the maxillary sinus, which leads to inflammation and accumulation of pus inside it. Such a blockage may occur, for example, against the background of acute respiratory infections, when the nasal mucosa swells and becomes inflamed. Chronic rhinitis, which causes a thickening of the nasal mucosa, can also cause sinusitis.
Both adults and children are prone to the disease, especially during the cold season. Determine how to treat sinusitis, symptoms. Therapy for the chronic and acute phase is significantly different.
Symptoms of sinusitis
In most cases, sinusitis can be identified by characteristic symptoms. Muco-watery nasal discharge does not in itself mean sinus infections.
However, it can be assumed that there is sinusitis if a runny nose lasts more than a week and is accompanied by the following symptoms:
- thick, yellow-green nasal discharge;
- pain in the sinuses, which increases with the tilt or tension of the muscles of the face;
- runny nose, accompanied by sore throat and cough;
Sometimes sinusitis is accompanied by swelling of the eyelids, redness of the eyes, swelling of the cheeks, lacrimation and photophobia. Often there are additional symptoms of sinusitis - chills, loss of appetite and insomnia.
It is recommended to consult a doctor if an adult or child:
- runny nose does not go away after self-treatment for 7 days;
- condition worsens after 3 days of self-treatment, temperature above 38 degrees;
- sinusitis has been before;
- eye pain, visual disturbances, redness of the face around the eyes.
Sinusitis may occur in an acute or chronic form (symptoms of sinusitis do not go away for 8 weeks or more). Chronic sinusitis is necessarily necessary to cure, because it changes the state of the sinuses mucosa in such a way that a person becomes more susceptible to infections in the future.
Symptoms of chronic sinusitis
All the symptoms of chronic sinusitis in adults without exacerbation can be expressed rather weakly. Usually, a person suffering from this disease complains of constant nasal congestion, impaired sense of smell, changes in the tone of voice, as well as aching pain in the nose. There is also a constant feeling of tiredness. It should be noted that there may be no pain without exacerbation of pain.
Exacerbation of chronic sinusitis, as a rule, is accompanied by deterioration of health, fever, headache, swelling of the eyelids and swelling of the cheeks. Strengthening of pus outflow from the nasal sinus when the head is tilted. Discharge from the sinuses irritates the mucous membrane, as a result, it becomes swollen and reddened. Polyps may occur.
Diagnosis of sinusitis, whether it is acute or chronic sinusitis, is carried out by an experienced ENT doctor and includes examination of the sinuses, taking a smear to identify the causative agent of the infectious process, x-rays of the maxillary sinuses.
According to the results of the examination, the ENT doctor prescribes an individually selected therapy, both the main and the identified associated diseases. Timely diagnosis is really necessary if you decide to cure sinusitis quickly.
Treatment of sinusitis
Before starting treatment of sinusitis, first of all, a correct diagnosis is necessary. The doctor makes an opinion about the disease after an external examination, after carefully listening to the patient's complaints.
The most reliably show the situation x-ray examination. Often this study can be limited. If traditional research methods do not show the entire clinical picture (complicated, neglected cases), the patient is punctured the affected sinus.
In the case of sinusitis, the treatment is carried out more successfully and faster than before it is started. Therapeutic measures are aimed at the normalization of movement from the sinuses into the nasal cavity of mucus and air, at the destruction of disease-causing disease. As already known, the inflammation of the maxillary sinus causes swelling, which clogs the ducts running from the nose into the sinus cavity; as a result, purulent accumulations. Until the outflow of pus is adjusted, you can forget about recovery.
To do this, discharged vasoconstrictor drops from sinusitis, or sprays with a similar effect. Modern drops almost instantly remove edema and restore (albeit temporarily) the drainage of the cavity. We remind you that prolonged use of vasoconstrictor drops for sinus is fraught with atrophy of the mucous membranes. Therefore, five days is the maximum duration of their use.
When sinusitis as a treatment is also carried out washing the paranasal sinuses (without a puncture), they are used only for severe pain syndrome or excessive discharge of pus.
Laser therapy is carried out to eliminate the effects of inflammation and enhance the effect of medication treatment. In some cases (for example, in severe disease), treatment with an otolaryngologist is advisable to combine with acupuncture and taking dietary supplements. The full course of treatment of the acute process takes, depending on severity, from two weeks to two months.
Puncture of the maxillary sinus
Puncture of the maxillary sinus can be assigned both for the purpose of diagnosis and for the treatment of sinusitis. Puncture is done under local anesthesia. A wall of a bosom is pierced with a special needle, pus is sucked off and the sinus is washed with antibiotics.
If the prescription of antibiotics is not desirable, you can apply Sinuforte, a preparation based on cyclamen extract, which enhances local immunity, triggers the natural cleansing of the nasal cavity and colonosal sinuses from mucus and pus.
From the point of view of preventive medicine, the use of antibiotics is highly undesirable for a number of reasons, including, given their side effects. Sinuforte is a good alternative. For patients with chronic forms of sinusitis or sinusitis, it is important that Sinuforte is not addictive. The drug is used once a day, for 6-8 days, independently, or in a complex treatment regimen.
Antibiotics for sinus
Treatment of antritis with antibiotics is quite an effective method, but only if the nature of the disease is not viral and not allergic.
- Ampicillin. One of the most well-known antibiotics, is available in tablets, capsules, taken on a tablet of 0.25 g, 3 times a day. There are also injections with ampicillin.
- Cephalexin. An antibiotic in the form of tablets is taken in 0.25 - 0.5 g, 3-4 times a day. Injections do 0.5 - 1 g, 2 times a day.
- Augmentin. Modern powerful drug with a pronounced antibiotic effect. 625 mg tablets, taken 2 times a day before meals. Also available in syrup form.
Antibiotics for sinus are selected taking into account all related factors. The main treatment of sinusitis at home.
Treatment of sinusitis at home
At home, the treatment of antritis is complemented by washing the sinuses with an antiseptic solution. For example, furatsilinom, overwhelming streptococci and staphylococci.
Furatsilina half tablets crushed and dissolved in half a liter of warm water. Treatment can also be performed with saline at the rate of 1 tsp. salt to a glass of warm water.
Leaning over the sink and turning the head slightly so that one nostril was higher, pour the liquid into the upper nostril with a syringe, so that it flows out of the lower nostril. Half a liter of antiseptic solution on each side is enough.
You can pour a little solution in the palm, hold the upper nostril, and lower the contents of the palm. The tilt of the head should not be too large. Then hold your lower nostril with your finger and tilt your head in the opposite direction. The antiseptic solution should flow from the other nostrils on its own.
After washing the nose can not lie on the right or left side, because bacteria can penetrate with the remnants of the liquid, causing otitis, inflammation of the middle ear.
How to treat sinusitis folk remedies
Folk medicine is an excellent complement to medical therapy, combining naturalness, softness, efficiency, painlessness, low cost and lack of toxicity.
- Prepare carrot juice (third of glass), add 1h. spoon of alcoholic propolis tincture and 0.5 tsp of floral honey (if honey thickens, it should be slightly warmed in a water bath). Soak the mixture with small cotton swabs and put into the nose for 15-20 minutes 2-3 times a day. The rest of the medication should be kept in the mouth on the side of the affected sinus for 2-3 minutes.
- If there is a tendency to sinusitis, you should immediately treat any runny nose. So that he quickly and without complications passed, you can use the following recipe. Take 100 grams of olive or sunflower oil and 1 tbsp. spoon with the top chopped rosemary. Place for 3 weeks in a dark place, daily shaking. Strain and squeeze the grass. Instill 2-3 drops in each nostril for the first time, and then 1 drop 3-4 times a day for no more than a week. Acute rhinitis passes in a few days, chronic - in 2 weeks.
- At home, the treatment of sinusitis can be performed using self-massage. This procedure should complement other methods of treatment, but not be an independent method of treating a disease. There are reflex points, the pressure on which will stimulate the self-healing process of the mucous membrane of the maxillary sinuses. In Eastern medicine, eucalyptus or rose oil is rubbed into these points.
- It is necessary to chop the onion on a fine grater. Blindfold with a tight bandage, you need to cover your head with a towel and breathe over the chopped mass for 1-2 minutes. Thanks to this inhalation, onion medicinal essential oils and phytoncides penetrate the region of the maxillary sinuses.
- Several bay leaves must be laid out in a saucepan. Next, they are poured with water and brought to a boil. After the water boils, put a sterile napkin or handkerchief in the broth to soak it in the broth. Then a handkerchief is applied to the frontal part and nose. It is necessary to cover the head with a cloth to keep warm as long as possible. And after the scarf has cooled, repeat the procedure 2-4 times. The duration of treatment is 6-7 days.
- Sea salt is often used for home treatment as a salt wash - in a glass of chamomile (water) divorce st.l. salt.
- What else to treat sinusitis? With the help of inhalation! Boil 1 kg of potatoes in their skins, drain the water after cooking. And over the potatoes to breathe through the mouth, with the nose, having previously covered the head with a towel so that the steam from the potatoes does not evaporate. The time of this procedure is not limited to how much anyone can. After inhalation, wipe with a towel and lie down on the sofa without a pillow, tilt back your head slightly and drop 2 drops of onion into each nostril (15 drops of onion juice and 15 drops of 96% alcohol, mix) It will burn much, but after 20 seconds everything will pass.
- Squeeze the juice from aloe tree - 2 tablespoons, Kalanchoe pinnate and onion - 1 tablespoon. Mix and bury in the nose.
- Cyclamen juice quickly removes purulent contents from the sinuses, and the headache immediately caused by pressure on the maxillary sinuses immediately stops. In each nostril you need to drip 2 drops of juice. After 5 minutes, the patient begins to sneeze, cough, feel heat in the body, sweat. After this, a thick yellow-green pus will be excreted from the nose during the day. You can buy ready-made pharmacy drug with cyclamen juice - Sinuforte.
Remember that all traditional methods of treatment may have individual contraindications, before using the recipes, discuss them with your doctor!